Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Dresdan Plate and a little Summer in the City on a Winter Day

Start of pillow swap
okay all the complaining about living in the Southern Adirondacks and facing a winter of really no snow . . . and as I type it is snowing at a fast clip and what am I thinking about? Summer. It might be my very favorite fabric, Summer in the City by Moda. So sad that it is getting harder and harder to find. The weird thing is it is one of my favorites, but it is a favorite that I will actually cut into. Once I start using it, I have a hard time stopping. The Dresdan Plate is so fun in this print that I am not sure I will be able to stop at a pillow and might have to make a whole quilt from it. I guess first things first. The snow today has caused us to reschedule plans, so I can sew when the kids nap! I think I will work on the pillow and make sure I can master the applique portion of the Dresdan Plate. I have called or shopped at all the local stores looking for some varying degree blade templates, but I have a feeling it will be a on-line purchase soon. The blade I found at JoAnn's is a 30 degree which takes 12 blades to make the plate. I think I would love some with more and even some with less. Anyone know of a good source?
I used a tutorial from Amy at Badskirt and also one by Sara of Sewn, both fantastic! My partner in the pillow swap likes things paired with linen, so I am thinking of using linen for the background fabric and also the circle for the applique. I might even go crazy and try a zipper, but that might just be crazy talk. I think they are sleeping, so time to crank up the sewing machine. Enjoy the storm everyone and as I look out at our snow covered swimming pool, I know summer will be here before you know it!

2 comments:

Becky said...

It looks fantastic! How clever you are to master a dresden plate! ♥

Jenny said...

oooh, what a beautiful way to show off these great fabrics!

Design by Bloggy Blog Designz Copyright © 2010