Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Go to Pre-school Aged Gift - Toddler Sized Library Totes

Now that Ellie and Sam have turned three and go to school/camp/dance class/gym class/etc . . . they are developing a crazy little social life. Having two that are invited to parties is great in lots of ways but hard on the wallet. We usually make a extra special gift when it is being given by two. After trying a few handmade items, I think we have found our gift! A lovely tote, with a matching book and a small Borders gift certificate. It is perfect!
A week ago Sunday the kids were invited to a pair of boy/girl twins party. I ended up staying up half the night before making them for the party the next day. They were quick and easy to make and I think my favorite part is using Heather Ross fabric on both! The new Far Far Away 2 Line is just perfect for this project. Canvas in a heavier weight so no interfacing is needed and the design is picture perfect! We ended up going with old favorites, Richard Scary collections of stories because finding the stories from the fabrics was not to be done in Saratoga Springs, NY the day before the party. My kids and I do love the Richard Scary collection of Fairy Tales.
Boy version is the Race car and Rabbits prints and the Far Far Away 2 - both Heather Ross printed by Kokka.
Have since found a copy of Rapunzel at Amazon and have a few on hand for the next toddler girl birthday we attend. I love having happy birthday cards that a friend made to add quickly to gifts and having the kids names on them is perfect!
I am almost out of this fun race car print and plan the next boy library tote to be in The Owl and the Pussycat print from Far Far Away 2 and pair it with this book.
Thanks for all the warm wishes. We did have a tough week with the loss of Steve's Dad and the best father-in-law and Grandfather anyone could ask for. The night Rein died I talked to him right when I started cutting these totes out and then got the call from Steve's mom after she found him just after I finished sewing them. He told me a fun Rapunzel story and he planned to go with me to take the kids to the bounce house party the next day when they visited. I plan to make one for Ellie and also find a copy of the German version of the story he spoke of.

4 comments:

Cotton Kiwi said...

Wonderful gifts and a great idea to match the fabric with the book. We've got 5 birthday parties coming up shortly ... argh!
So sorry to hear about your Father in Law. He sounds like he was a wonderful man.

Rafael's Mum said...

Really love your totebag idea and they look absolutely lovely! Hope you are getting through this tough time ok. Isn't it strange when it happens that quickly... one moment you are talking, the next moment you can't believe what has happened. He looked like a great guy from the photos and I am sure he will be remembered with happy memories.

I feel a few more totes coming up? :-) you will run out of fabric soon!

Unknown said...

oh you are so great I love them! Very cute

Annemarie's Haakblog said...

What a gorgeous bag! I love it! If you like you can add a picture and a link to your blog today on my blog. It's link party on my blog every Saturday. My blog is mainly about crochet, but any craft is welcome. I would love it if you'll add something.
Bye!
Annemarie

Design by Bloggy Blog Designz Copyright © 2010